208 William St, FXBG VA 22401
540.656.2865 / info@shopforage.com
www.shopforage.com
       

recipe friday at FORAGE: SUMMER MEXICAN TORTILLA SOUP

Friday, May 17, 2013

Summer weather showed up this week with little to no warning. The heat caught me off guard resulting in a switch up in dinner cravings. In addition to the upper 80 temps happening outside, my reluctance to turn on our jet-engine-loud window units, and it being a Thursday night, I knew I wanted to make something fast and light...but without skimping on flavor. (cause ain't tastiness the only reason to eat anything? Ever?) So, I gathered some ingredients and threw them all in a pot. The result? Summer Mexican Tortilla Soup! It's tangy, thanks to the limes; hearty without being dense, thanks to the rice; and chock full of healthy, summery veggies. It involves hardly any prep since I used mostly pre-made ingredients, and it's super fast and makes enough for seconds, thirds...and lunch the next day.

INGREDIENTS:
rotisserie chicken
1 box yellow Spanish rice
48 oz chicken broth
4 limes
16 oz tomato salsa
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
crushed tortilla chips
monterey jack cheese
sour cream
chopped cilantro
avocado

1. Cook rice according to the directions on the box. I use Goya.



2. Shred the rotisserie chicken. (I love a rotisserie chicken! $5, perfectly cooked, and loaded with flavor.)



2. Pour the chicken broth and salsa into a large pot and bring to a boil. Go ahead and squeeze the juice from all 4 limes in there.


3. Add peas, corn, chicken, and cooked rice to pot. Give it a stir to incorporate everything, and let it simmer for 5 minutes while everything heats through. If you're like me, you like a thicker soup. I let everything boil until some of the extra liquid evaporated.

 4. Put it in a bowl, garnish it up, eat it all! (I forgot to cut up my avocado, but I know that buttery green goodness would have been a delicious addition!)


XO,
A.






No comments:

Post a Comment